The prostate, also known as the prostate, is a foreign organ that is part of the male reproductive system. The shape of the prostate is often compared to an edible nut because it looks like a flattened cone.
Prostatitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer are the three main diseases of the prostate. All three diseases can coexist in the same prostate at the same time. That is, the presence of prostatitis does not exclude the presence of hyperplasia and prostate cancer in the patient and vice versa.
In the group of drugs for the treatment of prostate diseases, there are many effective agents that improve the condition of the prostate tissues and the general condition of the patient's body. What drugs help a man to relieve symptoms of excessive tissue growth and associated discomfort, and what is their effect?
The prostate consists of two lobes, right and left, connected to each other by a node located below the bladder. Your back is directly adjacent to the rectum, so the examination of the prostate is done through the rectum (this is called a digital rectal examination).
Part of the male urethra passes through the prostate; therefore, when this organ enlarges or becomes inflamed, the man begins to have urinary problems. Benign prostate tumors are the most common urinary problem.
How do you feel with the enlarged prostate? At first, the man starts to go to the bathroom much more often, feeling strong pressure, as with a bladder overflowing. With frequent nocturnal impulses, this is called nocturia.
Another sign is pain when urinating, greater pressure from the jet, but at the same time, the beginning of going to the bathroom is prolonged over time. Sometimes, urine drips from the urethra after emptying, and in advanced cases, with a large enlargement of the prostate, urinary retention may occur.
Prescription Drugs for Prostate Treatment
It is important to remember that any prescription medication must be prescribed by a healthcare professional only and, unlike dietary supplements, it is classified as a medication and not as food. The patient must follow the instructions carefully.
Here is a list of medications to consider:
- Finasteride.The action of this substance is to reduce the level of 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone in the serum, urine and prostate. In this case, there is a natural decrease in the size of the prostate and an increase in the maximum flow of urine, reducing the risk of acute retention and associated relapses.
- Afluzosin.This substance improves the process of emptying the bladder by relaxing the tone of the urethra. The muscle wall relaxes, urine flows freely, releasing the bladder without encountering resistance.
- Dutasteride.It is a testosterone 5 alpha reductase inhibitor, an enzyme that converts testosterone to 5 alpha dihydrotestosterone. This substance quickly and effectively reduces the production of substances that contribute to the proliferation of the prostate. Thus, the symptoms of the problem disappear.
- Silodosin.Its mechanism of action reduces the discomfort of a swollen bladder associated with the accumulation and excessive excretion of urine.
OTC drugs for prostate treatment
- Serene fruit extract(also called dwarf palm or saw). The preparations containing the extract of this plant are herbal products. They suppress the activity of 5-alpha reductase, which, in turn, reduces the synthesis of dihydrotestosterone and has an anti-androgenic effect, that is, slows down tissue growth. In addition, palm extracts act as anti-inflammatory and decongestant, which also helps to reduce the volume of the prostate.
- African plum peel extract.Preparations with this additive help to improve the condition in several ways - the growth of cancer cells slows down, half of the urine leaves the urethra and the rate of urination increases. A lipid-sterol complex is responsible for pharmacological action, the main active ingredient of which is beta-sitosterol. In addition, the lipid-sterol complex improves the metabolism of prostate tissue by suppressing stimulation of the glandular stroma.
- Pumpkin seed oil.Pumpkin seed oil formulations are dietary supplements that assist in the proper functioning of the prostate and bladder. They are used for the prevention of enlarged prostate, as well as for prevention in adulthood. These formulations often contain cold-pressed oil, which is rich in essential fatty acids, especially omega-6. In parallel, these acids improve brain health, potency, eye alertness, joint health and many other tissues in the body.
- Blooming Sally.The preparations can be produced in various forms - capsules containing herbal extract and teas. Small flower ivan tea really has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the prostate, can be used for prevention and, if the problem has already happened, then as a means of alleviating the condition with a complex treatment.